by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) July 31, 2014
An independent legal panel on Thursday called for criminal charges to be brought against three former executives of the Fukushima nuclear plant operator for their role in the 2011 atomic disaster.
The ruling -- issued by a judicial review panel composed of ordinary citizens -- could ultimately pave the way for an indictment, after prosecutors announced last year that they would not pursue a criminal case.
The rare ruling means that prosecutors are now compelled to reconsider their earlier decision.
Another refusal to indict may end the possibility of charges for the former Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) managers.
But if the panel challenges prosecutors' decision a second time, a group of court-appointed lawyers would then be compelled to lay formal charges under Japanese law.
The three former executives are former chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata, then vice president Sakae Muto and former vice president Ichiro Takekuro.
Activists and residents who lived near the crippled plant had called on authorities to indict about three dozen company officials over their failure to take proper measures to protect the site against the tsunami, which sparked the worst atomic crisis in a generation.
Prosecutors had defended their decision not to indict by saying management could not have predicted the size of the huge tsunami, which was triggered by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake.
The waves crashed into Fukushima and swamped cooling systems, sparking meltdowns that spewed radiation over a wide area.
"We welcome the decision by the judicial panel -- it's obvious that someone has to take responsibility for the disaster," Miwa Chiwaki, one of thousands of plaintiffs who demanded charges be laid, told AFP.
A parliamentary report has said Fukushima was a man-made disaster caused by Japan's culture of "reflexive obedience", but no one has been punished criminally.
Nuclear Power News - Nuclear Science, Nuclear Technology
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.|