Moscow (AFP) July 23, 2007
Russian activists on Monday denounced what they said was a police cover-up over the killing of a protester near a Siberian nuclear facility over the weekend. The activist group Autonomous Action, which organised the protest, said in a statement there had been "insistent requests from police and prosecutors to camp participants ... not to make a fuss and to avoid speaking to journalists" group said the raid on the camp on Saturday, which left one protester dead and seven others in hospital, was "not carried out by ordinary hooligans, but was a planned attack by Nazis."
Russian prosecutors said in a statement that at least 13 people attacked the camp site near Angarsk in the early hours of Saturday with bats and knives and that 11 of them aged between 16 and 22 have been detained.
But prosecutors also said that the activists were not environmental campaigners taking part in a protest against uranium enrichment at Angarsk but were instead anarchists preparing for a gathering at the end of the month.
One protester, Igor, contacted by AFP on Saturday, said that the raid was carried out by "skinheads" and that the camp had been set up as part of efforts to block plans to expand uranium enrichment at the facility.
Igor said local police had visited the camp, which was set up on July 14, at least four times in recent days to conduct document checks and had asked the activists to leave.
The statement from the prosecutors said the raid was likely carried out by local men taking revenge for the beating of one of their friends by activists from an anti-fascist movement who the attackers claimed were in the camp.
Prosecutors have opened a criminal probe into the attack on manslaughter and hooliganism charges. Charges for hate crimes carried out by political extremists carry heavier prison sentences in Russia.
Source: Agence France-Presse
Nuclear Power News - Nuclear Science, Nuclear Technology
Powering The World in the 21st Century at Energy-Daily.com
German Nuclear Plant Shut Over Cooling Failures
Berlin (AFP) Jul 23, 2007
A German nuclear plant that was shutdown last month prompting criticism of its Swedish operator was on Saturday stopped indefinitely to allow for further security checks, officials said. Nuclear safety experts found failures in the emergency cooling system at Brunsbuettel plant, an official in the northern state of Schleswig-Holstein said. The plant was disconnected from the main electricity network after it became overloaded on June 28, although it continued to produce power for its own use.
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement|